Monday, February 24, 2014

I almost forgot what the Spanish flag looked like...

One week away from being halfway done with my semester in Barcelona...what?

This past week I did some very Spanish things (not Catalan, but really Spanish). On Wednesday night I went a flamenco show and dinner. This was really cool because flamenco is a type of dance that you can't really find in America and unlike anything I have seen before (with the exception of the last Flamenco show I went to in Madrid back in 2011). The women are all dressed up in these big fancy colorful dresses with flowers in their hair and they stomp around stage and make it look really good. The men wear relatively normal clothing but I'm pretty sure they soak their hair in water (or they're just sweaty) because when they do their turns and head snaps or whatever the crowd got a shower of the moisture coming from his hair. No worries, I was far enough back to be spared. I definitely want to go to another show and I'm thinking about taking my parents to one when they come to Barcelona (which is in 10 days...can't wait!!).

On Friday, I went with my program to Madrid. This was awesome because for the first time I can say that I have been to a city in Europe more than one time. My program provides trips like these that you can sign up for (not mandatory) and the cost includes transportation, hotels, tours, and all that jazz. This was nice because I like being able to see everything I can and when I'm alone or just with friends we tend to miss a lot. We took a 3 hour long train ride to Madrid which wasn't terrible. When we got there, we immediately began a walking tour. The only think that I didn't like was that I was so exhausted from the train there and waking up super early so I don't think I enjoyed it as much as I could have. We saw some pretty cool things and our guide took us to some places that I had not gone to the first time I went to Madrid. After the walking tour, we went to an art museum. All I will say about the trip to the art museum is that I would rather be out experiencing the city instead of spending 3 hours learning about art that wasn't even completed in Madrid. Our hotel provided dinner that night which was delicious and then we napped and went out. Let's just say I should probably never return to Madrid...I probably wouldn't be welcomed back.

On Saturday, we went to Toledo. Toledo is famous because it is one of (if not the only) place in the world where Christians, Jews, and Muslims all lived together in peace. The old part of the city is beautiful and I could spend all day just looking at this scene:


I went to Toledo the last time I went to Madrid but I still loved every second of being there. We also went to the cathedral while we there. It was insanely beautiful and I could have spent all day in there. 



After Toledo, my friends and I met up with my friend from high school who is studying in Madrid, Sara. She's the one I met up with when she visited Barcelona, if you recall. She took us to a fantastic little shop that's famous for churros and chocolate. I cannot think of a better meal:


Those were all for me. 

On Sunday, we went to another art museum and my opinion from the first one did not change one bit. After the art museum, we went to a beautiful park that reminded me of Central Park in NYC. There were so many people exercising, relaxing, playing with their kids/dogs, selling things, you name it. It was also beautiful outside so I got some great pictures of this park:


Unfortunately, I did not go canoeing in the pond. The wounds are still too fresh from the last time I went canoeing in Europe (right, Ali? Emotionally scarred).

After our tour of the park, we had free time to get lunch. Angie, Bo, and I went to a place for calamari bocadillos (sandwiches) which were delicious, especially for a non seafood lover. On our way to the restaurant I got some pretty great pictures of Madrid:


Look at all of those Spanish flags. You just don't get that in Barcelona. Ever.

After lunch, we went back to Barcelona. I always love going back to this city, no matter how much I liked or disliked the city I was visiting.

Overall, I loved Madrid. I was really happy that I got to visit Madrid again because I was considering studying abroad there but now I know that Barcelona was the right choice. I would definitely still study abroad there because it is a fantastic and beautiful city but I love Barcelona. I might be biased though.

My updated definitive ranking of cities I have been to in Europe:

1. Barcelona
2. Madrid
3. Berlin (picking between Madrid and Berlin was not easy, I love them both so much)
4. Prague

I'm staying in Barcelona this weekend which will be so nice because I will have time to catch up on things and relax before my parents visit. Other than that, that's all I have for you. 

Shoutout to mah gurl Angie for her birthday. Happy birthday!!!

Angela






No comments:

Post a Comment