Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Wiener Schnitzel and Apple Strudel...enough said

Well, my parents have left Europa and I have 6 weeks left here. Weird.

So, having my parents here was a blast. Let's start from the top:

Monday
I had class until 1:30 and then I took my parents to my usual lunch place. It's a little bakery type place that has amazing bocadillos for super cheap. Usually, I go here with Kat and since she's begging for a blog shout out, here it is! So after we ate my favorite bocadillos we headed to Parc Guell. Parc Guell is a really famous landmark in Barcelona and if you Google Image search the city that's what will come up. So after hiking up to where the park is (after our hike up Montserrat the previous day), we made it. It was pretty crowded and I'm pretty sure Noreen was about to hit someone. Wouldn't put it past her. After awhile, we finally got some of the pics we really wanted:


For dinner Monday night we went to a kebab place which was actually really good. Much better than the place we went to on Sunday night so that was good. I should have taken a picture of my food but I didn't. Please forgive me.

Tuesday
I had class all day Tuesday so I sent my parents on the bus tour around Barcelona. I hope they enjoyed it. For dinner Tuesday my dad made me grilled cheese and ham and it was amazing. Man, I've missed that meal.

Wednesday
After class ended at 1:30, I met up with my parents for lunch with Angie and Bo. We went to Bo De B, which is a really popular sandwich for the abroad students (seriously, I have never seen a local there). It was cool to have my parents finally meet some of the people I hang out with here and they loved finally being able to talk to them instead of just seeing pictures. After lunch my mom was gracious enough to buy me an FCB jersey. I picked Neymar Jr. because he is cute and only 22 so there is still hope for me to date him. Then we went to Sagrada Familia. Here's a little history about that: there once was a man named Gaudi. He was chosen to design Sagrada Familia. It was his life work. They started building it in 1882. Gaudi was hit by a tram and killed in 1926. Building stopped. Building resumed in the 1950s. It's still being built. It is not as historical as other cathedrals and churches in Europe but you will never see anything like this place again in your life and I high suggest going:



Thursday
After I finished class, we went to the airport for our flight into Munich. The flight was pretty uneventful, just played some cards with Noreen and obviously lost a lot because she refuses to lose. Once she dies, I will become the champion of everything. Until then, I lose. We got into Munich and somehow figured out how to get to the hotel. The hotel was definitely not 5 star, but no pasa nada (for you English speakers, that means "no problem"). We went walking around and got some awesome Bavarian pretzels. It was great.

Friday
We took a train to whatever town has the Bavarian castles in them. The train was around 2 hours, plenty of bonding time for the fam. Once we got there, we got some great views of the Neuschwanstein castle and a tour of the Hohenschwangau castle. It was interesting and full of great photo ops. 



Casual. After we saw the castles, we went back to Munich to get ready for our trip to Salzburg. Before we left we made sure to get some German bratwurst and it was great, obviously.

Saturday
We woke up and got on our high speed train to Salzburg. Once we got there, we spent some time wandering around Salzburg which is such a cool city. I got to see where Mozart was born, so I guess that's casual. Here is the view of Salzburg and me looking swell as always:


This pic is actually from Sunday, sorry. It started raining pretty badly so we ended up just going back to the hotel for a bit to rest and such. Once we dragged our butts our of bed to get dinner, we found a really nice authentic Austrian restaurant so naturally I ordered wiener schnitzel and it was AWESOME:


Sunday
SOUND OF MUSIC TOUR. I love this movie and I was so excited to finally see where it was filmed and learn more about the movie. I was fangirling the whole time. Unfortunately, the weather was not in our favor but that doesn't mean I didn't make the most of it! Here is me on the alter where the Captain and Frauline Maria got married:


Just one of the few pics of me in front of SOM landmarks. More to come on Facebook. In the meantime, here's one more pic of me with some apple strudel because it was amazing:


After this, we embarked back to Barcelona and I had to say goodbye to my parents which was really sad. I'm very lucky they came to visit me, not to mention lucky that they're giving me this opportunity. My dad now wants to travel all around Europe so I'm hoping to score an invite and see all of the places that I can't visit this semester. Here's to hoping.

Tonight I am taking a train to Valencia for a festival tomorrow. The festival is called Las Fallas and I'm pretty sure they just light a lot of things on fire but apparently it's pretty awesome so I'm excited! Then after Valencia, we are going to Sevilla on Thursday morning and spending the day there. On Friday, we are leaving for Morocco with a program for the weekend so this is definitely going to be a busy week and I'm so excited to see more cities in Spain. For now, I have to go to class and I'm not in the mood for proofreading so SORRY.

Angela





No comments:

Post a Comment