Tuesday, January 14, 2014

It's Not All Bad

It has been brought to my attention that my blog makes it seem like I hate it here in Barcelona and that I want to go home. Well that is partly true, I do want to go home because I miss my friends and family already but I do not hate Barcelona in the least bit. I hate the culture shock that has been associated with Barcelona. It has been much harder for me to get used to a new country than I expected it would. So today, I thought I would write about all of the cool things here that I like that you cannot find in America that make studying abroad worth it.

1. Casual monuments
Seeing as America is relatively new, we don't have buildings that have existed since the 1400s (especially not the midwest). I think it is so cool that every single day these people drive past these monuments that are beautifully constructed and hold so much history. I get to see these every day until May and that is pretty amazing.

2. A unique culture
Catalonians are currently fighting for a vote on if Catalonia should be its own state or not. Most people in Barcelona are pretty passionate about this subject, and it's very interesting to see the governmental controversies in a different country. I think people will still probably blame Obama.

3. Pan con tomate
This dish is specific to Catalonia, and it is delicious (even though I have hated tomatoes my whole life). They take a certain kind of bread (kind of like french bread or a baguette I'm not sure) and toast it lightly. Then they take a halved tomato and rub it all over the bread. Drizzle some olive oil and a little bit of salt and boom there you have an amazing Catalan staple. I can definitely get used to eating this bread on a regular basis. It's especially cool because no one else in the world makes this bread.

4. The Lisp
Ever since I started Spanish classes in middle school I have learned about the Barcelona Lisp. I had no idea it was actually a real thing until studying here. Everyone lisps. This means that in order to sound like a local, I need to lisp. I'm going to have the time of my life lisping this semester. They lisp "c" and "z", surprisingly not "s" but that means that my name is pronounced Angela Luth Rodrigueth. Everyone sounds like a 5 year old and I still think its hilarious.

5. The concept of "fast food" doesn't exist
Sure they have McDonald's and Burger King here (I actually think Burger King is more popular here than America) but there is no such thing as a drive thru. Also taking things "to go" is unheard of (and if you do it, it screams American). By doing this, they encourage people to sit down and actually enjoy each others company instead of eating in the front seat of the car on the way to a meeting.

6. People value each others company
People sit at restaurants for hours regularly just talking. It is completely normal to stay at the restaurant an hour after you finish eating just chatting and the waiter will not bring the check until you ask for it so they are not rushing you out at all. It is also not common to take coffee to go, so if people want coffee before work they will sit in a cafe and drink coffee until they need to leave for work. I think this is so cool that they slow life down enough to spend time with friends and enjoy life rather than us Americans who are constantly on the go.

7. Something new everyday
I don't think 4 months is enough to see all that Barcelona has to offer and I'm so excited to try to see it all. I wonder if they offer segway tours like Chicago does...

8. Meeting locals who also want to meet you
When you are out at a bar you might run into locals who are really excited to practice their English and tell you all about their favorite places to travel or eat or drink. They have so much information and advice and they actually want to interact with the American pigs.

9. Complete independence in a completely new environment
I have grown so accustomed to how I operate in Champaign and Arlington Heights. It's hard making a new routine, but I can make it whatever I want. Gelato and pan con tomate everyday.

10. Having the opportunity to be an American in a different country, even though it is hard
I would take traveling all around Europe at the cost of a few dirty looks and frustrated Spaniards. Because really, when I will ever have this opportunity again? The answer to that is never. So I will embrace the tourist in me.

11. You don't have to tip
Do you have any idea how nice it is to receive the bill and just pay the amount rather than do math and pay more money than you really owe? It's great. America can learn from Europe.

I hope this shows some of you that I really am having a good time and I'm beyond grateful for this opportunity and while I miss all of you in the states (ok not all of you sorry) I'm going to stay here and live a way more amazing life than you fools for the next 4 months. So adios y hasta luego.

You can find me stuffing my face with gelato in a cafe by the Mediterranean Sea.

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment