Sunday, January 12, 2014

My Life: Turned Around

This may be the last time you hear from me.

For all of you that know me well (I'm looking at you, Taylor Molln), you know that I self-diagnose. I self-diagnose A LOT. And I'm not the typical hypochondriac who always assumes cancer. I like to find obscure illnesses that I am POSITIVE I have. This time it is Meningitis. Like I mentioned in my last post, this is why I will lose 20 pounds.

One of my symptoms is that I constantly feel sick. These feelings are especially present when I'm trying to eat Spanish food. It may be because the food is kind of gross but even when I eat things I've eaten before I get stabbing pains in my stomach. Before I continue discussing why I have Meningitis, I want to take a moment to explain what I had for dinner last night:

-A white rice patty about two inches high and 6 inches in diameter. Covered in warm ketchup.
-A boiled hot dog.
-A fried egg.
-Cinnamon apple pieces.
-Toast

Apparently, you are supposed to eat this all together and it tastes good, but being the American I am, I ate it separate. Have you ever had rice and ketchup? I do NOT recommend it. At this point I was thankful that my sick feelings gave me an out from eating whatever this meal was. Mercedes is not a bad cook at all this meal was so just so foreign and odd and I could not eat it. Even things like pasta are hard to eat. It is a conscious effort to try to chew and swallow food, even when it tastes good. Would you like to know what I ate today? French fries and a donut (from Dunkin' Coffee-which is what it's called here). Can you say American Pig??? I really am trying to be cultured but the food is honestly SO WEIRD. So I will be dehydrated and malnourished for the rest of the trip. See you never.

I also think I have Meningitis because my body hurts all over. This MIGHT not be because of Meningitis but because I am so used to only having to walk 15 minutes instead of hours. Everyone walks everywhere here. I don't think it is fair of me to blame Meningitis for this since it is most likely due to my American lazy habits and general (lack of) fitness. Either way, I'm pretty sure I just aged 50 years. And acquired Meningitis. 

While I'm on the topic of fitness, I have a confession. Today while I was at lunch with friends at Barceloneta (kind of like a boardwalk along the Mediterranean Sea) and I saw an overweight woman near me. I immediately thought to myself, "Wow, I have not seen one overweight Spaniard until right now." Then when I heard her talking it turns out she's from Massachusetts. WHAT ARE WE DOING AMERICA?  Maybe this losing 20 lbs due to Meningitis won't be so bad for the sheer reputation of our country.

I have had a hard time adjusting so far in just about every way possible, but not being able to eat is terrible. I have no desire to eat, which makes it seem to other girls that I am anorexic or something. I just want to say I EAT EVERYTHING IN AMERICA! I eat too much in America! I love food! It's like having something I love ripped away from me and now I'm coping with that. I really hope it goes away soon because I'm pretty positive food is a basic need. You know I would usually solve this adjustment issue? Comfort food. Too bad that's out of the question.

Prayers are welcomed.

Angela

 

No comments:

Post a Comment