Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Wait, I have to take classes?

First two days of classes have come to a close. I'm taking some pretty interesting classes here, and I'm not exactly sure how this semester will go. I'm taking:

-Spanish. I'm almost positive I should be in a higher class because every time the class doesn't understand what my teacher is saying he looks at me to translate. I also know the answer to everyone's questions. Instead of moving up a level, I'm going to spend the semester pretending I am the Hermione of Barcelona. 

-Barcelona: The Cosmopolitan City. I guess I was hoping that this class would be filled with things to do around the city but instead it's basically a history class. I also pulled a Hermione in this class and was able to explain the entire conflict between Spain and Catalunya since 1714 so I'm pretty sure I already made a few enemies.

-Sports and Society in Spain. Look at this title. How does that not look like a blow off class? Apparently we will also be looking at social theories and how they have to do with sports and society but basically we will be learning about Spain's OBSESSION with football (soccer, you stupid Americans). Also, on the first day of class I was reminded that water polo actually matters in Europe and they have professional leagues and such so I'm going to try to go see some real water polo (no offense Buffalo Grove Polo but you're pathetic). 

-Politics in Spain. On the very first day my professor used the phrase (viewer discretion is advised) "dickhead" a number of times and then referred to Catalunya being "fucked in the ass" by Spain so I'm sure this class has to be all sorts of interesting. He also made a few references to the American system and how Americans think they have it so bad when really we have the most successful government in the world so I'm interested to gain insight on our system from a Spanish professor.

-Banditry and Mafias in the Mediterranean. I really don't know why I took this class. I honestly do not have an interest in banditry or mafia (especially because pickpockets aren't considered bandits). So this will be fun.

These past few days were kind of a rude awakening that I'm not just here to travel and go out but I actually have to learn things. Also, these grades transfer directly back to Illinois so I actually have to try hard to get good grades (as opposed to people taking classes just for credit, aka pass/fail). I do have a trip to Berlin planned for this weekend so that will be fun and I am currently in the works of planning a trip to Prague. If that doesn't make you jealous enough, it's 55 degrees here everyday. Then when I got home today, Mercedes told me how cold it was outside. Hope all of you are enjoying those freezing temps, peasants.

Angela

1 comment:

  1. Are you sure your Politics Professor isn't one of the beggars in the rather nice clothes? He seems to have a lot of pent up anger!
    On another note, this is your mother's cousin here, Margaret...hop on a plane to East Midlands airport and I will provide lots of ice for your drinks (oh and a bed!!).
    By the way, we don't have that much ice in our drinks as it dilutes the alcohol!!
    Enjoy.....apparently George Clooney is in Spain at the moment...worth a look!

    ReplyDelete