Friday, January 10, 2014

#Judged

Spanish classes started today. Of course IT happened again.

Here is the (translated) exchange between myself and my teacher, Raúl, while he was calling attendance in our intermediate level Spanish class.

Raúl: Ángela?
Me: (raises hand)
Raúl: (looks at paper) Ángela Luz?! Your name is very Spanish!
Me: Yes. (turning bright red)
Raúl: Rodriguez (pronounced with a lisp)?!? Why aren't you fluent and in a higher class?!
Me: I don't know. (redder)
Raúl: Didn't you speak Spanish with your parents?
Me: No.
Raúl: Very interesting...

If I am going to get this from every single person I meet in Spain I think I'm just going to go home. I'm not just going to rattle off my life story in broken Spanish to explain to him why I am not fluent in his language. How else was I supposed to respond other than "yes", "no", or "I don't know"?? Meanwhile, the entire class is probably wondering the same thing. "Shouldn't she already know Spanish?" I hate that I am already judged for being an American in Spain by the natives and now I am also being judged by the Americans in Spain. I'm just going to go study in London and pretend like I'm learning English. Then maybe I won't be a disappointment to my teachers, host mom, and Spaniards. Can I just get some credit for trying to learn Spanish???

Things with Gato are not looking promising. I'm trying to be nice to her because she is a very sweet cat and usually I hate cats so me saying that actually really surprising. I was petting her and then I guess she got too close because I have a hive. On my face. Also the cat was on my bed so if I'm dead tomorrow you all know why: anaphylactic shock.

I think I'm going to go out for the first time tonight (if anyone invites me). I'm still jetlagged so I just want to sleep forever but I guess postponing my imminent death via Gato won't be so bad. I'm mostly concerned about being raped and murdered since I am a foreigner. This brings me to my next point of watching too much Law and Order: SVU. The only reason I am afraid of being raped and murdered is because this show convinces me that this problem is extremely common, especially for foreigners. I need to stop watching that show.

Today's feature: a picture of Gato, my kryptonite.

                                                                   I snapchatted her.

                                                        I did this and now I have a hive.

Angela



No comments:

Post a Comment