Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Sweaters all around!

As of yesterday, I have officially been here for 1 week. And I am still alive. I have 15 more weeks here, and I'm already running out of weekends as I try to plan everything I want to accomplish while I'm in Europa. If anyone has any input of places to go and things to do let me know please!

Highlight of today: finding a Mexican restaurant in Barcelona. Highlight of the highlight: they served flautas. My all-time favorite Mexican food. Fernando's words ("The best Mexican food is made by the Mexicans themselves") definitely held true, but I was just glad to find a restaurant that serves nachos and guacamole. My life just changed for the better. Then tonight Mercedes made a somewhat normal dish of chicken and vegetables so I would say today is the first day I was able to eat like a human. But wait, more happened today.

I decided on my favorite Spanish trend. Sweaters. Most American girls are probably reading this thinking, "That's also a trend in America, idiot" (Erin is probably thinking that, knowing her). But I'm talking about sweaters for dogs. Seeing dogs wearing clothing is a rarity in America and even when they are wearing clothes it's a joke. Here, pet owners legitimately put sweaters on their dogs so they don't get cold. Remember how I said they bundle up like it's 20° cooler? Well they dress their dogs like they are also getting cold. On my walk to class today I saw 6 dogs wearing sweaters. It definitely makes life more interesting.

Also, they treat dogs entirely different than we do. The other day I was in H&M (how American of me) and a man literally had his dog. In the store. Another time I was in the GROCERY store and there was a dog in it!!! Seeing as I love dogs I can't complain and I'm just gracious that there aren't cats stalking around everywhere. Gato is enough for me.

Tomorrow I am headed to Tarragona with some other children in my program (I'm hoping my family understands this Breakfast Club reference) and I'm super excited to see another part of Spain. I also have a trip to Madrid planned. I have a few friends studying there so it will be great to see them while being in a different country. I know this semester is going to go by so fast!!

This is kind of a short post, but someone told me today that they were getting too long. Ouch, right in the #feelings.

Angela

2 comments:

  1. Angela - i thoroughly enjoy this!
    good luck to you & i hope things get better. i could never survive there as i am such a picky eater!! Marty is going to Europe in March with B.G.: London, Paris & Madrid
    I hope you too can take quick trips to other countries as well, Germany, France...
    take care & I look forward to hearing more about your semester...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mrs. Nix!! If you or Marty have any questions about the Europe trip let me know I went on that trip also and had tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete